Monday, September 21, 2009

La Shana Tova

Happy new year to all you jews out there. While for most non-jews, it doesn't seem like it should be time to bust out the party hats, the streamers, and the champagne, but for the chosen people, its that time of year. For me, New Year's Eve has never felt like the turning of a new year. Yes, we do have to remember to write the new year on our checks, and i know my birthday will be in a couple of weeks, but there isn't really any change going on. Having the New Year in the fall is a great way to do it, because it is when change really happens. Spring is when things start to grow, winter is when everything is dormant, but fall is where it all begins. Summer has come to a halt, plants start to change colors, and the animals start storing their food for the upcoming months.

School starts, and people can feel the excitement in the air of new experiences and seeing old friends. Not being in school anymore, I don't quite feel like that, but fall for me is always a good time to get in touch with people i haven't talked to for a while. Fall also means raking leaves, which I do not enjoy.

The rabbi at the service I went to this year talked about how we communicate differently than we used to now, through facebook and email. As i sit here writing this, I think about how many people read this, and if it has any impact on them. i try and keep in touch with people, and I know that I could be doing a lot better of a job. My goal is to try harder, and be a more active part of people's lives, and involve them in my own. I have grown very used to my routine, and very secure living in a small town, but at the same time, I dont' want to uninvolve myself from other people, just because I do not see them regularly.

Thank you for reading, and I wish you all a happy and healthy new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment