Thursday, December 24, 2009

Tokens.... not the subway type

So Everyone knows a Token. On South Park they brought it out into the open, and at the dinner that I was at tonight, I am known as Token by the 3 year old girl that is there. The token is the one that is there for ceremony. In my case, because I am more of an orphan in this world of colorado, and I am a jew, I get to enjoy the festivities of Christmas with other people's families. Every year for the past 3 years, I have been going to my friend Jay's sister's house. They live up the street from me, but this year, Jay and his Fiance bought a house, and we all trekked up there. I loaded up the dog, a stuffed christmas tree, and my appetite and prepared myself to be Philipino.

Now this is a tradition that I can look forward to. There really is nothing very religious, or even Filipino about this dinner, but I love to tell people that on Christmas, I get to be Philipino.

You may have noticed that there are 2 different spellings here. I am told that because I was not born Filipino, that I have to spell it with the PH...... i like to humor people. But Jay and Ingrid and Grace and Jerry, and their little daughter Sophia are very much like my family on christmas.... they even get me a present, and cook me food, and offer up beverages. This year the dog came, and he very much enjoyed all of the attention.

Normally the holiday season annoys me, because after so many years of working retail, it gets old really quick having to listen to Holiday songs, carols, and customers that never seem to understand that we cannot stock everything in every size all of the time. Why don't they do their holiday shopping in August when we get this stuff in? But it really was not that bad this year. I only was tortured with rudolph a couple of times, and that was for a few brief moments at the grocery store and while doing some quick shopping. I did go to a holiday party where the cops showed up because there were about 50 people belting out carrols at the top of our lungs, but nobody seemed to know the words... that was a good time.

Well, I think that is it for me tonight. I hope you all have a happy and healthy holiday and you are safe out there. Enjoy the time with your friends, your family, and your friends' families. Take a little time to think about what Christmas means to you, because it is definitely not about the presents. Even as a Jew who isn't into the religious aspect, and a salesperson for a retail shop who isn't into overly blatant consumerism, I am still able to know that this is a holiday where you get to enjoy the time you have with your family. With that being said, Merry Christmas, and Happy holidays.


ps. I think it is a little odd that I did not post about Chanukkah, which was last week. I was too busy working and selling stuff to people who were buying Christmas presents :)

No comments:

Post a Comment